Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Finally a Post

I know, I know, two months since my last post. What can I say? Summer is crazy busy around here for me. Work is always intense during the hot season and we seem to discover new ways customers try to abuse us. I’m telling you, I could write a whole column on some of the ‘interesting’ things that I’ve experienced with customers. 95% of our customers are great, but unfortunately it’s the 5% that stand out the most. Sad, but true.

Little Miss M is officially a Kindergartener. Everyone asked how I took it. One word, Great. She’s been at this school for their Preschool program and the Pre K, so by the time the Big K rolled in, it was old stuff for us. Now come talk to me in May and we’ll see. She is in a separate building right now and in May they have a graduation ceremony where the students (first grade through twelfth) from the other building line up the road and the Kindergarteners walk the way to the big school. I don’t think there will be many dry eyes that day.

You want to hear irony? I took Little Miss M up north for a quick weekend to spend with her Grandma before we started the Big K. Before I went up north the weather here was HOT, even my nephew that lives in the southwestern desert that came and stayed for two weeks this summer complained about our heat. The quick weekend I was away? It rained the WHOLE time. Twenty degrees cooler. Can you believe that? Now that I’m home again, HOT. One of life’s little jokes I’m sure.

Writing front – Not much happening. I’m stuck a bit on a scene and finally decided to just ignore it for now and start writing after that scene. I think that will help me figure out what to put into that one and what I shouldn’t. I finally decided who’s POV to put it in, it’s an integral scene where the hero realizes the heroine is truly a force to be reckoned with, where before he saw her as someone that needed him to rescue and shelter her. Not seeing that she has been doing for herself already for the last decade plus without him. I really like strong women and want to portray the special dynamic that entails those two headstrong personalities.

Reading – Well, that is something I’ve been doing a lot of. I have just discovered Anita Blake. I know I came to it late. But my, what a series. I’m on the eighth book now and I just love her. She’s smart and ruthless while still vulnerable enough that you want to see her have that happily ever after. But she’s smart enough to know that the HEA is just for stories, not her, she causes too much trouble along with being a smart ass from hell. I like cynical people. And her mouth gets her in trouble ALL the time. I can so relate.

What are you reading? Writing? Any trips lately?

2 comments:

Leah Braemel said...

Glad to see you back. LOL about the weather - that happened to us one year when we took the kiddies to Florida in March. It snowed on the way down - as far as Georgia. When we got back, Ontario had had unseasonably warm weather - in the 70s - the whole time we were away. Of course it snowed the day we returned.

Congrats on Miss M being a kindergartener. And commiserations.

Writing wise - when a scene is giving you problems, leave it and come back to it later. Sometimes you'll find it's a scene you don't even need or, as has happened to me, I realized I was trying to force a character to act out of character. Keep the notes you've made about POV, but be prepared to scrap 'em too. See how the later scenes turn out first.

Dani said...

I'm glad to be back. I feel more like a writer already. Funny how our habits affect how we see ourselves.

Thanks on the congrats and the commiserations. I've got stories for you offline. You won't believe some of the things she's said. :)

Writing - Funny, tonight I was in the tub, where I do my best thinking some nights, and thought about that scene again and wondered if it really is needed. So much else is going on around them that I may just cut it. So I'm just going to leave it as it is now and start writing forward, as you always say!